Here is a recipe for spring rolls from Gary Mueller which is as real crowd pleaser.
Although the recipe calls for Bass you can use any other white fish fillet like Pollock Bream or even Cod to make this scrummy snack !
- Fillets of Bass Skinned (cod Pollock,Bream Fillets all work)
- 1 Carrot chopped into matchsticks
- 1/2 Red Pepper Chopped into matchsticks
- 1/2 Green Pepper Chopped into matchsticks
- 1 or 2 Red Chillies Chopped into matchsticks
- 1 inch cube Fresh Ginger Chopped into Matchsticks
- 1 Fresh Garlic Chopped fine
- 4 Spring Onions Chopped into Matchsticks
- 1 Lemon Grass stalk chopped fine
- 1 x 2 inch Mooli Radish Chopped into matchsticks
- Handful of Beansprouts
- 1 Chinese Cabbage(outer leaves)
- 1 handful Fresh Dill chopped fine
- 1 Handful Fresh Coriander chopped fine
- 1 Tbsp Toasted Sesame Seeds
- 1 splash of Mirin Rice Wine to taste
- 1 Splash of Dark Soy Sauce to taste
- 1 Splash of Sesame Oil to taste
- salt & pepper
- 1 Pkt 12 sheets Filo Pastry
- Butter or Egg yolks for washing the pastry
Prep all the veggies
Skin and pin bone the Bass fillets,season and pop into the fridge till needed.
Heat some vegetable oil to a medium heat and stir fry the Garlic, Ginger, Carrots ,Peppers, Chilli ,Lemon Grass for a few minutes, until they are cooked but still crisp. Then add the toasted sesame seeds for a further 1 minute. Then add the Mirin, Sesame Oil and Soy Sauce and season to taste.
Once cooked set aside to cool.
Meanwhile heat the oven to 180 degrees (fan oven)
The Beansprouts, Mooli Radish, Spring Onions and Coriander can now be added to the cooled fried vegetables and mixed together.
On a work surface lay out the Filo Pastry and wash the edges with melted butter then sprinkle some chopped Dill over the filo sheet. Wash every other whole sheet of pastry with egg yolk or melted butter but add chopped Dill to each sheet. Six sheets is more then enough.
About 2 inches in from the bottom edges lay out 2 outer Cabbage leaves
Then add a portion of the mixed vegetables on top of the Cabbage Leaves.
Add your Bass Fillet (trimmed to 8 ins length approx. x 2 ins wide) on top of the vegetables.
Add more mixed vegetables on top of the Bass fillet
Finish off our sandwich with 2 more Chinese Cabbage Outer Leaves.
Carefully bring in the outer edges of the filo pastry and wrap around the ends of the fish and vegetable mixture and roll up from the end tucking in any loose pastry as you go.
Once finished rolling, brush with melted butter all over.
12 to 15 minutes should produce a nice flaky cooked pastry spring roll
Eat hot with a sweet Chilli dipping sauce.
Or Serve with Udon Noodles.
- Wrasse fishing saves the weekendLast weekend was probably the poorest weekend I have known for fishing on Chesil Beach […]
- Long range PlaiceLike a lot of anglers fishing Chesil over the past week, I decided to try for an early […]
- TwitterNot sure about many of you, but until recently I was not a great lover of Twitter. I […]
- Gill Net updateI just want to clarify about the Gill nets. They are spread around Portland and as far […]
- Scratching in the surfNow certainly is the time of year when the fishing around South Devon can be […]
- Fantastic Ray fishing on Chesil BeachI thought that there would be some great fish caught this week, after the rough […]